Re: doc elisp intro cross reference fixes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: doc elisp intro cross reference fixes
Date: 30 Nov 2003 14:51:51 -0500

> Maybe one needs to think more radical thoughts: Where is the sense in
> allowing me to do (setq global-font-lock-mode t) even though it has no
> effect?

Do you really mean `setq' (i.e. something outside custom or even
outside set-variable) ?

> Now, maybe changing setq to invoke the Custom setter would be too
> weird.

Especially since the toggle function called by the setter does such
a `setq'.

> But maybe it is possible to change Custom such that it doesn't need
> those variables?

Huh?  Those variables are needed for other reasons, not for custom.
There simply needs to be a place where we store the current state
of those minor modes.  For some minor modes, we can use things
like (member foo bar-hook) or somesuch, but in general we just
need a minor-mode variable.

Furthermore, AFAIK, custom already does not need the variable: if you
provide a setter and a getter that don't use the variable, it won't
use the variable.  There might be a few places in custom where
this is not quite true but it should be easy to fix.

> Then we could remove all the variables that have no
> effect when set via setq,

You also want to "remove" non-existent variable like stefan-test-1 ?

        Stefan