Re: doc elisp intro cross reference fixes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: doc elisp intro cross reference fixes
Date: 19 Nov 2003 23:57:03 -0500

>     Anyway my point is that the difference between defcustom with and
>     without a * is in practice absent and in theory much too subtle and
>     debatable to justify its existence (after all, who knows whether users
>     will want to set something interactively or only at startup).

> Shouldn't set-variable distinguish, at least for completion purposes?

Why should it ?

Programmers forget the * all the time, so people complained about some vars
being settable via customize-variable but not via set-variable, and it
was fixed so the * is irrelevant for `defcustom'.  I think that's a good
thing and I'd like to bring the doc in line with the code.

        Stefan