Re: 21.3.50 for Cygwin: patch 5

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: 21.3.50 for Cygwin: patch 5
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 19:22:22 -0500

    The Glibc files mktime.c, gmalloc.c, and strftime.c use it.  mktime.c
    and strftime.c does declare it if it isn't defined already, but
    gmalloc.c doesn't.

Whether to rename the symbol __P when copying these files from Glibc
is a painful issue.  To be strictly correct, we should rename it.  But
renaming it would make the files different, and we'd rather they be
identical.  On the third hand, that are probably already different
(though that is a problem we would want to fix).

I guess we may as well leave __P alone unless we can figure out a
solution that is really right.

    I still think we need a "tips and tricks" section in e.g. INSTALL-CVS
    or admin/README (or a new file somewhere) to mention things a
    developer should be aware of when working on emacs source code, notably:
     - requirement for legal papers,
     - what is a "tiny change" (and how they sum up)
     - how to document changes (ChangeLog, NEWS, manual pages)
     - indentation style, use of P_ macro, which header files to use
       (e.g. when should a function be added to lisp.h)
     - how we support multiple platforms [when to duplicate code,
       which files contain platform specific code, etc...]

It is a good idea, but I don't have time to do it.
Would you like to write this?

Note that many of these questions are answered in standards.texi
and maintain.texi, and I think you may as well refer to them
rather than duplicate them.