Re: iso-8859-1 and non-latin-1 chars

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: iso-8859-1 and non-latin-1 chars
Date: 19 Dec 2002 22:35:46 +0000

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes, it's better for Emacs, but not for the other programs
> (e.g. ispell).  And such Emacs Lisp applications that use
> wrong coding system should be fixed anyway.

Yes, my point is that ispell should be fixed, but people are avoiding
the issue.  Other programs allow users to set a coding system for some
file and they sometimes set it wrongly; I think I mentioned BBDB
initially as a real example.

> > What concept do you mean, exactly?
>
> For instance, the MIME charset iso-8859-1 can encode Latin-1
> chars only, and it's stateless, no escape sequences.

But the issue is what happens when you tell them to encode something
they can't (safely) encode.  They either have to produce some
more-or-less arbitrary result or to arrange to signal an error.