Re: iso-8859-1 and non-latin-1 chars

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: iso-8859-1 and non-latin-1 chars
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 21:10:09 -0500

    > If you specify a coding system with C-x RET c, and it doesn't
    > handle all the text, should Emacs warn about that?

    I think that is better, but, can we distinguish these cases
    in Fwrite_region.
      (1) coding system is specified by C-x RET c.
      (2) coding system is specified by a code:
             (let ((coding-system-for-write ...)) ...)

    Or, do you think we should warn in both cases?

Case 1 is the case where I am suggesting Emacs should warn.
I suspect that in case 2 we sometimes want it to warn,
but I am not certain.  I think that making it warn in case 2
is a good idea to start with.  Maybe we can later add a way
to tell it not to warn.