Re: Weird problem with mouse-autoselect-window

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Weird problem with mouse-autoselect-window
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 11:17:37 -0400

>     This is on a Linux box under X, btw.
>
> If it is running GNU and Linux, please call it a GNU/Linux box.  This
> helps us just as fixing bugs in Emacs helps us--but it is much less
> work!
>
>     emacs -q --no-site-file
>     C-h v mouse-autoselect-window RET
>     Click on customize this variable
>     Toggle the value on.
>     Set for current session.
>     Move mouse over *Help* window.
>     Hit TAB.
>
>     You should see "No buttons or fields found".
>
> When you switch frames, Emacs generates a switch-frame
> event whose purpose is to wake up read_key_sequence
> so it will reread the keymaps of the new frame.
> Something similar needs to be done for mouse-autoselect-window.
> I would guess that that mechanism either isn't happening
> or is working wrong.

Why is it necessary ?  The select-window event is bound
to handle-select-window which will do the selection (including changing the
current buffer) so when we get back into read_key_sequence, the current
buffer should have been properly switched already.

        Stefan

PS: It might be different for `select-window' events that are in the middle
of a key-sequence rather than at the beginning, of course, but that's
not what is being discussed here.