Re: comint-carriage-motion causes severe problems.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: comint-carriage-motion causes severe problems.
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 22:59:35 -0500 (CDT)

On comint.el:

Old version, lines 1509-1511:

          ;; This used to call comint-output-filter-functions,
          ;; but that scrolled the buffer in undesirable ways.
          (run-hook-with-args 'comint-output-filter-functions "")))))

New version:

          ;; This used to call comint-output-filter-functions,
          ;; but that scrolled the buffer in undesirable ways.
+         (unless no-carriage-motion (comint-carriage-motion ""))
          (run-hook-with-args 'comint-output-filter-functions "")))))

I just realized that adding the line:

+         (unless no-carriage-motion (comint-carriage-motion ""))

here is unnecessary (though harmless), because calling
comint-carriage-motion on the empty string has no effect whatsoever.
Sorry for not noticing this earlier.  As mentioned in my previous
message, I am intrigued by the remark in this extract.

Revised change log:

2002-08-17  Luc Teirlinck  <address@hidden>

        * comint.el: (no-carriage-motion): New variable.
        (comint-carriage-motion, comint-output-filter-functions,
        comint-output-filter): Remove comint-carriage-motion from
        comint-output-filter-functions and call it directly from
        comint-output-filter.

        * ielm.el: (inferior-emacs-lisp-mode): Give no-carriage-motion
        a buffer local value of t.

Sincerely,

Luc.