Re: comint-carriage-motion causes severe problems.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: comint-carriage-motion causes severe problems.
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 17:19:05 -0500 (CDT)

Richard Stallman wrote:

   I would like someone to do it, and that could be you.
   However, if they are nontrivial we would need to get new
   legal papers from you.  This is because the papers you signed
   (at least according to our file) in Jan 2001 only covered your
   past changes.  If someone else who has assigned future changes
   writes this, we won't need new papers from him.

I believe the papers I signed back then concerned planned changes to
mailabbrev.el.

Current submissions or planned submissions include:

1.  Submitted changes to ielm.el concerning the variables *, ** and
    ***.  I submitted those a little over two weeks ago.  If you did not
    like the concrete changes incorporated in the diff I sent, then some
    other changes need to be made, since the two bugs I reported do need
    to be taken care of one way or the other.

2.  Maybe the comint-carriage-motion stuff, but it is not clear that
    this will take more than twenty lines, which if I remember well is
    about the limit.

3.  Combine mailalias and mailabbrev into a single package, where all
    mail alias definitions would be stored in .mailrc.

4.  A new file, tentatively called aliasfiles.el (name subject to
    change) which allows to write interactively defined mail aliases
    automatically into .mailrc without need for the user to visit that
    file or even worry about it.

5.  A new file called something like rc-mode.el (name subject to
    change) implementing a major mode to edit .mailrc directly.  (To
    get useful results from font-lock, syntax-motion, filling and the
    like.)

Timetable:

1.  Minus 18 days.

2.  A couple of days if it is decided that I am going to do it.

3, 4 and 5: Way more involved than 1. and 2. and took me way too long
(I had to interrupt my work on this to the point that I had to refresh
my Elisp knowledge when I finally found time to restart working on it,
which is how I ran into ielm bugs.)  However, I am now hopeful to
finish all of this off within about one month.

To summarize, I probably will need to sign new papers.  I believe I
remember that Gerd told me back in January 2001 that the papers I
signed would cover future work as well, but I deduce from your reply
that is not accurate.

Sincerely,

Luc.