Re: Enhancements to options menu (was Re: Reveal mode)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Enhancements to options menu (was Re: Reveal mode)
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 11:45:58 -0600 (MDT)

    IMO, the custom interface is overwhelming in the sense that it doesn't
    really prioritize the options.

So, if we had a command to customize a selected list of the 50 most
important options, using the existing Custom facility, would that
do the job?

Another idea: it would also be possible to sort the options in any
given Custom buffer, if we assigned them importance levels.
The more important options could come first.

Another idea: the Custom buffer could show the important options for
any given topic, and end with a button Show Less-Important Options
with which you could see the rest of the options for that topic.
Perhaps we could do that whenever the number of options exceeds a
certain threshold.

I don't entirely understand this suggestion:

        [x] Abbreviation mode    [advanced]
        [x] Revert mode          [advanced]

What does "advanced" mean here?