Re: Proposal: Only highlight mouse-face when mouse is moved

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Proposal: Only highlight mouse-face when mouse is moved
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:07:30 +0200 (IST)

On 13 Feb 2002, Jason Rumney wrote:

> > Does this mean that if I move the mouse in a way that causes the
> > highlight, and then press a key, the highlight will go off?  If so,
> > I'm not sure it's a good idea.
>
> I don't think it has to mean that. It need only take effect when
> deciding whether to start displaying mouse-highlight, not whether to
> continue displaying mouse-highlight that is already displayed.

It's been awhile since I looked at that code, but IIRC, the decision
whether or not to highlight is made each time the display is updated.
That's because redisplay removes the highlight, redraws the portions
of the screen that need to be updated, and then puts the highlight
back in its (possibly new) screen position.

So unless I'm missing something, it looks like impementing it like you
say would not be easy.  Just looking at the last event is not enough.