Re: Proposal: Only highlight mouse-face when mouse is moved

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Proposal: Only highlight mouse-face when mouse is moved
Date: 15 Feb 2002 09:32:33 +0100

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> >     However, my intention was actually to turn off mouse-highlight if the
> >     last event was not a mouse-movement, mainly because that seems to be
> >     the simplest approach to implement.
> >
> > This does seem like a coherent alternative: the highlighting goes away
> > when you don't use the mouse.
> >

> The following patch does this for X  (it's a proof of concept - will
> make similar change for w32, etc. if you think it is ok).
>
> Could you try it out and tell me what you think?

I forgot to explain exactly what it does...:

1) It keeps track of what the last user activity was:
   - if it was a mouse movement, mouse highlight is enabled
   - if it was a key press, mouse highlight is disabled
   - any other event doesn't change the mouse highlight state

2) The mouse "sensitivity" is still there.  It is only the
   actual highlighting which is controlled.

3) This means that the mouse shape still changes to a cross
   when the mouse is over mouse sensitive text.

BTW, if we decide I should install this feature, I need to keep
track of this per display, i.e. in the display_info structure.