Re: directory-sep-char

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: directory-sep-char
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 09:46:57 +0200 (IST)

On 25 Nov 2001, Jason Rumney wrote:

> > Should we keep the current "sometimes display / sometimes something else"
> > or should we just stop trying to display native paths or should we
> > strive to display paths in native form as much as possible ?
>
> Personally I think inconsistency is likely to lead to bug reports.

I agree.  When a user types "d:/foo/bar TAB", displaying
"d:\foo\barfoo" in response would be very confusing, I think.

In addition, I don't see any reasonable way to make sure the file
names are converted to the native format for display only.  Unless I'm
missing something, we don't have any primitives through which file
names are funneled on their way to display.