Re: directory-sep-char

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: directory-sep-char
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 12:21:10 +0100

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001 09:46:57 +0200 (IST), Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> I agree.  When a user types "d:/foo/bar TAB", displaying
> "d:\foo\barfoo" in response would be very confusing, I think.

Not to mention that allowing the user to set directory-sep-char to ?\
can lead to problems. In the pretest days I sent reports (and patches)
for at least two elisp modules (one of them being, IIRC, recentf.el)
that misbehaved when directory-sep-char was any other than the default
?/.

The patches where not accepted because d-s-c is deprecated, so I asked
Eli to make that clear in NEWS and the docstring. That means that those
bugs, and I suppose others yet to be undiscovered, are still lurking
in the code. If the variable were allowed to stay for asthetical
purposes, a search for problematic spots would be in order. Though I
personally think maintaining it is a half-hearted measure; it is
better to get rid of it.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u