Re: setnu-mode and Emacs 21.

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: setnu-mode and Emacs 21.
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 00:20:52 -0500

With respect to setnu.el...

address@hidden (Kevin A. Burton) writes:

> Currently it has "issues" with Emacs 21.  In some situations it
> doesn't update itself and in others it wraps the line numbering back
> onto itself (two glyphs on one line).
>
> So my questions are:
>
> - does it work for anyone successfully?
>
> - does the glyph approach seem logical?  This kind of seems like a kludge.
>   Should it be implemented in C?
>
> - should/could the line numbering use the fringe?

Actually, the way I think it should probably be done is to put the
line number in the margin.  From the Emacs List Manual:

Displaying in the Margins

   A buffer can have blank areas called "display margins" on the left
and on the right.  Ordinary text never appears in these areas, but you
can put things into the display margins using the `display' property.

--
Michael Duggan
(address@hidden)