Re: Info faces

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Info faces
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 19:41:01 +0200

> Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:24:33 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Gerd Moellmann <address@hidden>
>
> "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Btw, this reminds me: the tty version doesn't support the -fg, -bg,
> > and -rv command-line switches, because no one has written code to
> > handle those switches.  This should be fixed, and is fairly easy (the
> > code near the end of pc-win.el could be lifted almost verbatim), but
> > I'm not sure whether we should do it now or postpone until after
> > v21.1.  Gerd?
>
> That's me :-)  It seems a good idea.  Could you please do it.

Done, and changes committed.

However, I have only a very limited possibility to test how well this
works on Unix TTYs.  So please test this as best as you can, and
correct any blunders I might have overlooked.

As far as I could see, specifying either one or both colors from the
command line works, with and without -rv, but a sole -rv doesn't (I
think the mode line doesn't stand out).  Someone who has an easy
access to a Unix box with development environment, please debug this.

Note that -rv sets the inverse-video variable, so it is no longer
redundant...

Here's my usual recipe for testing these issues:

       emacs -q -nw
       emacs -q -nw -rv
       emacs -q -nw -fg blue
       emacs -q -nw -fg blue -rv
       emacs -q -nw -bg white
       emacs -q -nw -bg white -rv
       emacs -q -nw -fg blue -bg white
       emacs -q -nw -fg blue -bg white -rv

In each one of the invocation, please try at least these:

        M-x set-face-foreground RET default RET red RET
        C-x 5 b *foo*
        C-x 5 b *bar*
        C-x 5 o
        C-x 5 o
        C-x 5 o

You should see that the red foreground is only in effect for the
initial frame, whereas the other two frames have the same default
colors as when Emacs started.  (The reason for creating three frames
is that (a) the initial frame is created a bit differently from the
others, and (b) when `reverse' is in the default frame parameters,
I've seen bugs that invert colors anew with each new frame.)