Re: [emacs-bidi] status? news?

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] status? news?
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 14:47:37 +0330 (IRT)

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>
> > I have discussed this too much with Roozbeh, as both of us agree, You
> > must do in this order:
> > 1 calculate the embedding levels (roozbeh called "apply bidi"),
> > 2 select the proper glyphs,
> > 3 break lines,
> > 4 reorder
>
> I thought "apply bidi" includes reordering.

I agree that one should use the "apply bidi" for the whole thing.

> > you cannot break lines before calculating the embedding levels,
> > because explicit marks may affect the glyph selecting phase.
>
> I didn't want to move it before level calculation.  I thought Roozbeh
> implied it must be done _after_ the reordering.
>
> If line breaks are coomputed before reordering, I don't understand why
> supporting explicit embedding is so much harder than implicit one.

because with the absence of the explicit marks, one can first break
the lines and then apply bidi on each line and get the same result,
but with explicit marks present, you should do steps before and after
the line breaking that causes some difficulties in implementation.