Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: [emacs-bidi]status? news?

From: Matan Ninio
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Re: [emacs-bidi]status? news?
Date: 18 Jan 2001 13:49:20 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> On 18 Jan 2001, Matan Ninio wrote:
>
> > We (at the cs.huji system group) have done some peeking into this code
> > (back in 1999), but we never got anywhere (except for some minor
> > adjustment in ps-print, but I'm not shore I can find it now).
> > Our main problem was lack of understanding of the intenals of the
> > display engine.  Is there anywhere one can read on the above internals?
>
> I'll say it again: I think anyone who wants to make a difference in
> adding bidi support to Emacs should study the Emacs 21 display engine
> _now_.  If you have questions, especially questions that pertain to
> the aspects which are relevant to the bidi support, please post them
> here.  I will try to answer them as best I can, and I hope Handa-san
> and Gerd, who read this list, will also be able to help where I don't
> know enough.

fair enough.  But can you clue us in as to what files to look into?  I
have emacs 21.0.93 here, but it's a big program, and I don't know where
to look first.
A fast glimpse at dispnew.[hc] shows that the code is highly documented
(the h file is about 40% comments), but I did not see a overview section
(may have missed it).  Is there some other place one can look in for
comments, explanations and the such?  overlays, for example, where do I
find out what they are?
              MN