edu-eu

Re: Call for Partners -> Linux in Youthwork

From: amayr
Subject: Re: Call for Partners -> Linux in Youthwork
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 20:12:01 +0100 (CET)

Hi Christian, edu-eu,

There are several positive responses on our Call. Actually i tried to
spread the announcement via channels where i expected to reach people who
do have experience in using linux or even participate actively in software
developement. Beside this, i focused to reach people who are in youthwork
on a professional basis and do have a clue what it is all about.

Generally, i think, that there is the need to discuss the issue of using
"Linux in Youthwork", because the basic conditions in this field of social
work is definitely specific and need to be addressed and evaluated
explicitely.

The programme i plan to admit to, is the YOUTH programme. It is not part
of the IST programme, which is much higher funded. A positive effect of
the YOUTH programme is the fact, that it is less buerocratical. The chance
of taking it as a starting point for builing up international cooperations
in this common efforts, seemed to be a good strategy.

Well, talking to my national agency for guidance through the
application i got told today, that the background institutions of the
participants need to be strictly related to youthwork; universities are
definitely not defined to be within this field. as there are lots of
people from universities who would like to apply, this is a pretty bad
situtaion.

There are still solutions to go through this, but in general it verifies
my experience that EU applications are hard to combine with free software
related issues. [allthough, i wish, i am wrong in this]

My next steps now will be concentrate on finding some more youth
initiatives who are interested in participating (in order to be able to
arrange it at all) and furthermore to gain sponsoring money for the
invitations of the people who plan to come.

> EU funding; you can ask Georg Greve (Georg, you read this list?) who
I met Georg at the WOS2 in Berlin in october.
He gave me feedback on the announcement and good advise concerning the
channels to spread. Thanks, btw.

> I have not searched the net, but I assume you have already talked to the
> people of Austrian FFS (Frderverein Freie Software); they are in quite
> close contact to the FSFE. They can help you, too.
Yep, i am in contact with them.

Solong,
Andrea