edu-eu

Fwd: World Education Forum

From: raphael calvelli
Subject: Fwd: World Education Forum
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 00:38:15 +0100

Hi all,

WEF organization sent us an intermediary questionnaire, that I briefly answered and now submit to your global attention before sending it. Not very important but anyway... I will send it tomorrow tuesday afternoon.

Dear Partaker:

The World Education Forum Organization Committee is beginning a data bank
about the partakers of the event. The World Education Forum integrates, so
far, over 200 entities/institutions/organizations, and it is being released
in 198 countries. Fifteen thousands people are expected to share in the
Forum. We would like to know your opinion about this event, therefore we
kindly request you to answer the questions below and send by e-mail.

        1.      How do you like the initiative of the World Education Forum?

A very good initiative that stresses the fundamental role of education in a always-more-globalized world.

        2.      Which are your expectations concerning this event?

To publicize the use of libre software in educational world, because of the great possibilities and ethical exigence it offers. to connect further the topic of libre software to the topic of education.

        3.      How are you connected to the universe of education?

Many a developper of our community are teachers. The educational systems slowly get interested about libre software.

4. Are you going to present any paper at the forum? What is it about?

Yes, 2 or 3.
- Presentation of libre software,
- some ethical questions about importance of knowing the technics of computers and Internet in tomorrow's world , and what libre software brings to it.
- resources for using  libre softwares in classroom

5. Which do you think is the most interesting topic among the four links offered?

as the work of our foundation is not to educate, we don't have elements to give this opinion.

        6.      Are you bonded to any institution/entity/organization, how
is it related to education field?

Free Software Foundation Europe is bonded to the Free Software Foundation.
(Far further from the only well-know Linux Operating System, the FSF is promoting use of software whom you can get and share the source code, according to the GNU GPL licence see www.gnu.org). As only libre softwares seem to give guarantees of freedom in the computer field, we beleive it is very important to use them for teaching computers, and not proprietary softwares that have for ground not an educational but a commercial project.

Best Regards,

Organization Committee