dvipng

[Dvipng] Windows MiKTex/TexLive2007 dvipng problems with fonts

From: Mark Hammond
Subject: [Dvipng] Windows MiKTex/TexLive2007 dvipng problems with fonts
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 18:47:10 -0700

Christoph Schmitt Wrote:

> I am trying to generate images of latex formulars via a java application
> and now confronted with some strange problems when using dvipng bundled
> with miktex and texlive 2007 under windows.
>
> The first call of dvipng hangs (generated os-process dvipng.exe via the
> java-application is not responding) because the a sub-process
> (makepk.exe for the case that miktex is used as latex-environment) fails
> to generate a certain pk-font. When calling dvipng from the cmd-shell,
> then the first run of dvipng leads to a console ouput similar like this:
>
> METAFONT failed for some reason....
> dvipng warning: not all characters could be displayed
>
> and new pk-fonts will be generated from dvipng. A second run of dvipng,
> not changing the contents (the font or font size) of the .tex-files
> leads to no warning or errors from dvipng.

I ran into the same issue.  What I found is that even if the quiet flag (-q) is passed to dvipng, miktex-makepk.exe is being invoked with the –verbose flag.  This is causing miktex-makepk.exe to not exit.  I was able to workaround the issue in two steps:

1)    When invoking dvipng it is run twice, both times with the quiet, picky, and strict flags.
2)    A wrote a proxy application which took the place of miktex-makepk.exe.  This proxy simply invoked the real makepk after stripping the --verbose option and replacing it with the –q option.

Those two alterations made a functional workaround.

-Mark