dvipng

Re: [Dvipng] Static/dynamic library for dvipng?

From: Jan-Åke Larsson
Subject: Re: [Dvipng] Static/dynamic library for dvipng?
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 09:03:27 +0200

Alex wrote:
> Yeah, it sounds like I want to be using preview.sty. Unfortunately,
> texdoc returns no information on the package ('Documentation for preview
> could not be found.'). Note that I'm running a MiKTeX installation, if
> that makes a difference. Anywhere else that I might be able to access
> the documentation?

See http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/preview.html
CTAN seems to be down at the moment, though.

It calls latex with arguments like

"\nonstopmode\nofiles\PassOptionsToPackage{active}{preview}\AtBeginDocument{\ifx\ifPreview\undefined\RequirePackage[displaymath,floats,graphics,textmath,sections,footnotes]{preview}[2004/11/05]\fi}\input{filename.tex}"

> Also, when you say that this package does a run of latex/dvipng for each
> update, I presume you mean that the command line utility for each is
> executed, saving the intermediary files on disk?

Exactly. Preview is the latex package that makes ONLY the requested bits
of a TEX file appear in the output, one on each page, and the generated
images are then inserted by the preview-latex Emacs package, see

http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/preview-latex.html

/JÅ