dvdrtools-users

[Dvdrtools-users] Help with Hitachi GF-1050 DVD-RAM drive (fwd)

From: L. Cranswick
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Help with Hitachi GF-1050 DVD-RAM drive (fwd)
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 11:53:17 +0100 (BST)

In summary - to write ISO images to a DVD-RAM drive - try using
dd instead of dvdrecord or cdrecord.  This seems to work.

e.g.,  dd if=/tmp/isos/1.iso of=/dev/scd0

(make sure you are writing to a valid device or you
will fill up your /dev area pretty quickly)

(Thanks to Seth Kurtzberg at MIS Corp for passing
the advice for using dd instead.)

Otherwise - just use it as a removable disk drive and copy
to it directly.  Udf tools at the following address seems to
work on the latest Redhat (which in theory means the disc
would be readable on other DVD-RAM drives on Windows and Mac)?:
  http://packages.debian.org/testing/otherosfs/udftools.html
make sure "/sbin/modprobe udf" is in your startup.

Take a look at the following links (some of the information is
wrong as I am still going through the permutations and combinations
of things)  Still working out if there is a size limit for
writing ISO images to DVD-RAM such that they cease to be
bootable after a certain size(?)

For read/write to DVD - dar backup page is most relevant.

 http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/ccp14admin/linux-server/mondorescue/index.html
 http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/ccp14admin/linux-server/dar_backup/index.html
 http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/ccp14admin/linux-server/iso_images_to_dvdram/index.html

Lachlan.

--
-----------------------
Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
  Birkbeck University of London and Daresbury Laboratory
Postal Address: CCP14 - School of Crystallography,
                Birkbeck College,
                Malet Street, Bloomsbury,
                WC1E 7HX, London,  UK
Tel: (+44) 020 7631 6850   Fax: (+44) 020 7631 6803
E-mail: address@hidden    Room: B091
WWW: http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/