Re: [Duplicity-talk] "Errno 22" and "Errno 1" during restore

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] "Errno 22" and "Errno 1" during restore
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 14:36:23 +0200

On 08.08.2013 20:44, Dan Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to restore from a backup and I am getting very many errors. I've
> seen two kinds. Here are examples:
>
> Writing Templates/exam.tex of type reg
> Error '[Errno 22] Invalid argument: './Templates/exam.tex'' processing
> Templates/exam.tex
>
> and
>
> Error '[Errno 1] Operation not permitted:
> 'scratch/egret-restore/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.8_155965261/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/167/2/.cp/icons/full/obj16''
>  processing .
>
> The files appear to be created successfully, although the timestamps are all
> today and not the original times.
>
> Reading through other posts, I suspect this is related to a userid change --
> the backup was made on a different computer and my current uid is different.
> Is there a way to work around this, or to verify that the errors are harmless?
>
> It would be nice if the restore process had a method for changing uids ("uid
> X in the backup files is now uid Y here").

you seem to have not the proper permission to chown/chmod the restored files
back to their original attributes. easiest workaround would be running the
restore as root.

additionally the new machine might not have a user account named like the one
it tries to restore the owner to. see also --numeric-owner on manpage
http://duplicity.nongnu.org/duplicity.1.html