Re: [Duplicity-talk] Sometimes reads manifest from backup location even

From: dcottingham00
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Sometimes reads manifest from backup location even though it's in cache -- why?
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 15:46:05 +0000 (UTC)

I filed this on launchpad as bug 1170113, but then I did a little test that suggests that this bug is easier to reproduce than I feared -- it seems that duplicity retrieves the latest manifest from remote not sometimes but always. I attached a comment to my bug report with details of that test.

One might wonder why I had so many successful backups to S3/Glacier before falling victim to this bug. I think I now understand why. My transition rule directed S3 to transition files to Glacier immediately, but S3 takes that to mean "when I get around to it" which usually (always?) takes more than a day. Thus when I was doing daily backups, the most recent manifest was always still readable. But when we shut down for a week and a half, when we came back up the manifests had all been transitioned and were unreadable.

Thanks for your help,
Dave Cottingham