Re: [Duplicity-talk] Seeding a remote backup

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Seeding a remote backup
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 18:10:39 +0200

On 14.06.2012 17:07, Andrew Kohlsmith (mailing lists account) wrote:
> On 2012-06-14, at 11:02 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>> that's not what i suggested:
>> meant was do new incrementals against the old full to effectively shorten
>> the chain artificially hence minimizing the chance of having a defect volume
>> killing backups after it.
>
> Oh I understand now; I didn't think you could do that and have Duplicity
> automatically figure that out. That's a very interesting workaround!

actually duplicity just plain stupid checks the backend, sees no incrementals
and naturally creates the first based on the latest full.

>> anyway, this is a workaround and no solution of course. also it does not
>> protect you from the full getting corrupted, so you additionally need that
>> as a copy in a safe place.
>
> It'd be nice if you could tell Duplicity to do something to that effect…
> incremental-chain-length or some such…

yeah it would.

that would be like introducing a new type of incremental, root-incremental or
base-incremental which is always based on the full before it, ignoring the
incrementals inbetween.