Re: [Duplicity-talk] Seeding a remote backup

Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Seeding a remote backup
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 10:55:39 -0400

On 2012-06-13, at 1:48 PM, address@hidden wrote:
> the current suggested workaround to the "do fulls regularly" is to simply
> move incrementals (e.g. every two weeks) based on a full into a subfolder and
> do new incrementals. this of course gets more expensive speaking bandwidth as
> the changes compared to the full accumulate over time.

I've been running duplicity for a couple of years now. I create 650MB backup
files and do incrementals for 13 weeks. I'm not sure how big the largest backup
set is, but it does take forever to upload on a normal cable connection. :-/

> for restoring of a specific older time you will of course have to manually
> move incrementals back and move the recent incrementals into another
> subfolder and vice versa.

I thought in order to restore to a specific point-in-time you needed the full
plus all incrementals from that full to the point you want to restore. I don't
think it's possible to use a more recent full backup with older incrementals.

-A.