Re: [Duplicity-talk] Python 3

From: Michael Terry
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Python 3
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 22:54:55 -0400

On 9 April 2011 16:19, Kenneth Loafman <address@hidden> wrote:
The RedHat folks are on a 6-year support cycle, so the minimum Python we need to support is 2.4 for now and will move up as time goes on.  It's a pain, but we do have a fair number of them out in the wild, so we should not drop support.  In my opinion, a 6-year old system is probably dangerous to have around, even if patched, but some businesses do just that.

In the course of testing some changes against Python 2.4, I was remembering this conversation.  I looked up RHEL Python versions [1] and end-of-life phases [2].

Which end-of-life phase do you want duplicity to target?

If it's the normal 7-year phase, that means we should support 2.4 through early 2014 (and actually, that we should still be supporting 2.3).

There are other phases of end-of-life (4 and 5 years each) you could target if you wanted to be more aggressive and a longer phase (10 years) if you wanted to be more conservative.

[1] http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=redhat
[2] https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/

-mt