Re: [Duplicity-talk] Python 3

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Python 3
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 08:00:03 -0500

2011/8/22 Michael Terry <address@hidden>
2011/8/22 Kenneth Loafman <address@hidden>
I'm not in favor of supporting 2.4 that much longer, but I believe we should watch out for using 2.7's tarfile since it probably is not compatible with 2.4.

Agreed.  If I did that, I'd have to make some changes to be compatible.

Does the 2.5 version of tarfile.py work properly?  I would like to use the library version, but I had troubles when I tried it on 2.5 a while back.

When does Python 2.4 sunset for Ubuntu and Debian?

It already has.  Debian stable (their oldest supported release) has 2.6.  Ubuntu 8.04 (the oldest supported LTS through April 2013) has 2.5.  The latest LTS has 2.6.

Ubuntu LTS releases last for 5 years, which isn't so much better than 6, but does seem to include newer versions in practice.

We really ought to ask the users, but my guess is that we don't have too many stuck on 2.4 and below.