Re: [Duplicity-talk] Which backups include a particular file?

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Which backups include a particular file?
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 07:47:53 -0600

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 7:13 AM, <address@hidden> wrote:
On 13.12.2010 13:21, Kenneth Loafman wrote:
On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 4:43 AM,<address@hidden>  wrote:

On 12.12.2010 17:23, Kenneth Loafman wrote:

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Tom Limoncelli<address@hidden>   wrote:

 Suppose I have daily backups for the last year. (Not that it should
matter, but assume "--full-if-older-than 3W" was used).

A user tells me, "I had a file called data/stuff.txt which existed for
about 10 days.  I don't remember which 10 days, but could you find it
and restore it?"

Obviously I can do "duplicity  collection-status" to see that backups
were done every day.  However, is there a way to see which of those
days the file he mentions existed?

That's really not possible unless it was contained in a full backup.
'--list-current-files' in conjunction with '-t datetime' will give you the
current list by datetime, but if the file was created and deleted during
the
three week window between backups, then it's gone.

Didn't mterry add a patch that lists files even for older chains?

Yes, that was the -t option, but the incremental files for the previous
full backup are automatically removed as soon as a new full is made.

If incrementals depend on older full backups I reason full backups stay in the repository? Even if I create a new chain (new full)? Right?

The older full backups are complete unto themselves.  Each incremental is dependent on the full backup and potentially on an earlier incremental.