[Duplicity-talk] How to backup the boot partition?

From: Yves Goergen
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] How to backup the boot partition?
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 23:52:27 +0200

Hello,

I have now found out why duplicity didn't include my boot partition in
the backup.

The procedure is this: mylvmbackup creates an LVM snapshot of the root
volume which will then be mounted to a certain path. This path is passed
to duplicity as the source path. Because the boot partition cannot be in
an LVM volume, it is a separate partition. And because the boot
partition is not part of the root logical volume, it is not covered by
the snapshot. To have it included in the backup, I just have added a
symbolic link to /boot inside the mounted snapshot.

This was the problem. The symlink was included in the backup, but not
its contents.

How can I solve that now? I can imagine the following options:

* Create a second backup set for the boot partition and specify /boot
for its source.

* Copy all contents from /boot to the snapshot/boot directory (i.e.
duplicate the boot partition). This may eat up my snapshot space. It
would probably be the easiest fix.

* Mount the boot partition to the snapshot/boot directory as secondary
mount (how's that called? mount can do some --bind to mount a filesystem
at two places) so duplicity sees its real contents instead of a) a
symlink or b) an empty mount point directory.

What would you recommend?

--
Yves Goergen "LonelyPixel" <address@hidden>