Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity crashes on locked files (windows)

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity crashes on locked files (windows)
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 08:12:46 -0500

Georg Lutz wrote:
>> Kenneth Loafman wrote:
>>> Not an Open Source shop I take it?  Don't get yourself into trouble
>>> using duplicity.  Jobs are hard to find nowadays.
>>>

> Hi Ken,
>
> well, the job is not so bad. :-) We heavily use Open Source tools for our
> build system and in some core services for developers. Unfourtunately this
> seems not to be realized among some responsible managers... I cannot
> really complain about restricted internet access - I have already "worked"
> at much more restricted sites. The problem is that the "Blue Coat Web
> Filter" has really stupid default settings...

I'll agree with that.  Do they block all OSS sites, or just some?

> Thank you for your quick response. I applied the patch. But unfourtunately
> the same error arrises, see attached log.

I don't have a locked file on the system and don't have Outlook, but
pagefile.sys does the same thing in effect.  My Windows system is a
Windows XP system running under VMware.  Very minimal.

$ ./duplicity-bin --include=/cygdrive/c/pagefile.sys --exclude=**
/cygdrive/c file://testdup
Last full backup date: none
GnuPG passphrase:
No signatures found, switching to full backup.
Retype passphrase to confirm:
Error [Errno 16] Device or resource busy: '/cygdrive/c/pagefile.sys'
getting delta for pagefile.sys
--------------[ Backup Statistics ]--------------
StartTime 1239192830.05 (Wed Apr  8 07:13:50 2009)
EndTime 1239192830.16 (Wed Apr  8 07:13:50 2009)
ElapsedTime 0.11 (0.11 seconds)
SourceFiles 0
SourceFileSize 0 (0 bytes)
NewFiles 0
NewFileSize 0 (0 bytes)
DeletedFiles 0
ChangedFiles 0
ChangedFileSize 0 (0 bytes)
ChangedDeltaSize 0 (0 bytes)
DeltaEntries 0
RawDeltaSize 0 (0 bytes)
TotalDestinationSizeChange 387 (387 bytes)
Errors 1

I'm going to have to dig into this a bit further.  It looks like Windows
will let you open the file, but then not access it, not good.  I'll have
to apply the same checks further into the process.  I'll open a bug
report on this.  For now, just --exclude=**.pst and back it up to a
different file extension before duplicity.