Re: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity crashes on locked files (windows)

From: Gabriel Ambuehl
Subject: Re: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity crashes on locked files (windows)
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 13:20:33 +0200

On Tuesday 07 April 2009 16:31:49 Kenneth Loafman wrote:
> Paul Harris wrote:
> > It would certainly be a highlight if duplicity could backup locked files
> > (via shadow copy IIRC).
>
> Yes, its called Shadow Copy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy
>
> However, I'm not familiar enough with Windows and Cygwin to know if
> shadow copy is available through Cygwin, and if so how to call it.

You can apparently assign drives letters to shadow copies. The process seems
kinda convuluted (this is Windows, so I'm not really surprised) but with some
trickery, it should be possibly to script it from the command line. Cygwin
itself does not seem to support shadow copy out of the box.

I'm a little short on time these days but I might give a shot at writing some
sort of batch file to invoke duplicity to backup a shadow copy.

BTW: does anyone provide a newb compatible installer for duplicity on windows?
Cygwin seems to be a bit painful for your average user...