[Duplicity-talk] Re: Need RPM Expert

From: Marcin Zajaczkowski
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Re: Need RPM Expert
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 00:23:26 +0100

On 2008-12-27 21:14, Kenneth Loafman wrote:
Marcin,

Thanks for the help!  That fixed it.

I'm glad I could help.

I still find RPM about as clear as mud.  One of these days I'll warp my
mind around it and all the exceptions, but for now, it works and if I'm
lucky it'll be years before I have to make changes again.

I think you exaggerate a little bit ;).
After that post some young and unexperienced Duplicity users could make a wrong opinion that Fedora, SUSE, PLD and other rpm-based Linux distribution are bad, ugly and very not user friendly.

Many years ago there were some problems with package administration and update, but a duet rpm + yum make it very easy, fast and reliable for an end user. In my opinion it's comparable [1] to deb + apt-get which offers many useful features.

[1] - I don't know apt + apt-get in details and because of that I don't say that rpm + yum is better for sure.

Regarding to packaging I've been making packages for Fedora for years and indeed it wasn't very easy to start, but I had found a great manual by Hoppke [2]. It's a little bit outdated and it's in Polish, but you could try to use Google Translator for that page [3] (there is some problem with translating the whole page, but for specified section it works "fine"). There is also a HOWTO by Fedora people [4] which could be useful.

So, don't be afraid of RPM. It's not so scary. And in case of problems you can always ask for a help.

[2] - http://repo.dobremiasto.net/articles/kurs_budowania_pakietow_rpm?longpage [3] - http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Frepo.dobremiasto.net%2Farticles%2Fkurs_budowania_pakietow_rpm%3Flongpage&sl=pl&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8 [4] - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/CreatingPackageHowTo

Regards
Marcin

Marcin Zajaczkowski wrote:
(...)
RPM build errors:
    Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:
   /usr/share/locale/io/LC_MESSAGES/duplicity.mo
.mo files (probably in that version you have only that one .mo file)
weren't marked as files which should be packaged, but an installer (in
make install) copied it to the destination folder anyway.

I've never make a package for localized Python application, but probably
it's similar to making a package for C/C++ localized application. If you
have already .mo files (it seems you have) then standard Fedora approach
with %find_lang macro should be enough:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Handling_Locale_Files

In case of further problems please drop me a SPEC + current tar.gz,
maybe I could do something more.

Regards
Marcin