Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: dbus patch

From: Dan Muresan
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: dbus patch
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2008 23:29:58 +0200

> I don't have any stats, but my understanding is that glib is not a
> bloated library.  Nor does duplicity seem like an application that

OK, I suppose I wasn't very clear; my concern was the number of
dependencies / ease of installation -- not performance. In an embedded /
server environment, one wants to minimize the set of installed packages.
Pulling an extra library often brings a whole new set of problems
(availability, version compatibility, cross-compilation etc). Each
dependency also increases the required disk space on the target (another
form of bloat).

Requiring a running dbus daemon would be even worse (wasted RAM), but I
understand that this won't be the case.

If one could optionally avoid the glib dependency (like the dbus one),
it wouldn't really matter; but I assume that with a glib main loop that
won't be possible.

> P.S. It's worth pointing out that dbus supposedly can use qlib's main
> loop instead of glib, but that seems like a toss-up, bloat wise, and
> less widely used by the dbus universe.

You are right, of the two glib would probably be preferable.

-- Dan