Re: [Duplicity-talk] DBus API

From: Serge Wroclawski
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] DBus API
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 13:44:51 -0400

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 01:11:17PM -0400, Michael Terry wrote:
> Hello, maintainers!
>
> Previously on "Issues with writing a duplicity frontend," we were
> talking about progress and error feedback.  The ideas of a named pipe
> or a duplicity library were discussed.
>
> I counter-propose a DBus API.  DBus is made for exactly this sort of
> thing -- interprocess communication -- and has at least the following
> advantages:

Another great advantage of D-Bus is that it makes sense in a larger context.
The advantages
presented were all for other programs wanting to know about the status of a
duplicity backup,
but a frontend may also decide things based on:

* Are we on battery power
* Are we on the network?
* Are we on the right network?
etc

Now, a frontend can do this now, but since a frontend autor will already be
using dbus for
this, it seems to make sense to use the same API for Duplicity itself.

- Serge