dotgnu-pnet

[Pnet-developers] [bugs #9266] German umlauts and german sz are not disp

From: Marc Haisenko
Subject: [Pnet-developers] [bugs #9266] German umlauts and german sz are not displayed

This mail is an automated notification from the bugs tracker
 of the project: DotGNU Portable.NET.

[bugs #9266] Latest Modifications:

Changes by:
                Marc Haisenko <address@hidden>
'Date:
                Tue 12/07/2004 at 17:01 (GMT)

The attached patch adds (I think complete) Unicode support for Xsharp and Xft.
This fixes the Umlaut and sz problem when Xft support is enabled.

The patch converts strings into wide char strings (32 bit characters) using
mbsrtowcs, which seems to be part of the C89 and UNIX98 / Single UNIX
Specifications and thus should be avaible on all Unices. A quick google says it
is also avaible on Mac OS X (being a BSD) and Windows / Visual Studio 6, so
this should be pretty portable.

I think we could fix the Umlaut problem as well using the iconv call (also part
of the libc like mbsrtowcs). We can't use mbsrtowcs here because standard Xlib
XDrawFont is only avaible in an 8bit and a 16bit version. But it would be a bit
more complicated as the non-Xft methods in Xsharp are more complicated.

[bugs #9266] Full Item Snapshot:

Project: DotGNU Portable.NET
Submitted by: Erik Pfeifle
On: Wed 06/09/2004 at 13:04

Category:  None
Severity:  5 - Average
Item Group:  None
Resolution:  None
Privacy:  Public
Assigned to:  rweather

Original Submission:  german umlauts and german sz are not displayed in pnet
0.6.6.

In MS .NET the test exe (TestGermanUmlaut.exe) produces a correct display of
all umlauts and the german sz, see Screenshot_CorrectDisplayGermanUmlaut.jpg.
In pnet the same exe only displays the texts without all umlauts, see
Screenshot_WrongDisplayGermanUmlaut.jpg.

When compiling the source file (TestGermanUmlaut.cs) with pnet's cscc, it seams
like the compiler removes the umlauts, because there are the following warnings
: invalid UTF-8 sequence,..., see Compile_TestGermanUmlaut.txt.
This it not true, because when setting the locale address@hidden the german
umlauts are correctly displayed in pnet.

I think it is a bug if for displaying unicode text the appropriate locale must
be set.

Follow-up Comments
------------------

Date: Sat 09/18/2004 at 17:44       By: 0 <None>
Compiling "UmlautTest.cs" with the following command:
"cscc -winforms -g -o UmlautTest.exe UmlautTest.cs"
All umlauts are displayed correct.

If the file is compiled with the following csc syntax:
"cscc /out:UmlautTest.exe /debug /r:System.Drawing.dll,System.Windows.Forms.dll
UmlautTest.cs",
other characters are displayed for the umlauts.

The test file is in utf-8 encoding, local encoding is also
utf-8.

Date: Thu 06/10/2004 at 12:12       By: Richard Baumann <Rich333>
It looks to me like this is hitting a TODO in XsharpSupport.c in the
TryCreateFont function.

File Attachments
-------------------

Date: Tue 12/07/2004 at 17:01  Name: XSharpUnicode.patch  Size: 3.07KB   By:
darkdust
Patch for Xsharp Unicode support when using Xft
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/download.php?item_id=9266&amp;item_file_id=1953

Date: Sat 09/18/2004 at 17:44  Name: UmlautTest.cs  Size: 396B   By: None

http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/download.php?item_id=9266&amp;item_file_id=1680

Date: Wed 06/09/2004 at 13:04  Name: TestGermanUmlaut.zip  Size: 14.47KB   By:
kirep
source file, executable, compiler setting and output, screenshots
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/download.php?item_id=9266&amp;item_file_id=1384

For detailed info, follow this link:
<http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=9266>

  Message sent via/by Savannah