Re: [DotGNU]Re: DotGNU Ported to PocketPC

From: Alex Stephens
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: DotGNU Ported to PocketPC
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 01:30:02 +0000

On 2004-06-13 09:54:31 +1000, Rhys Weatherley wrote:

> On Sunday 13 June 2004 09:44 am, Alex Stephens wrote:
>
> > I think this is a very good point, more far reaching than it might at first
> > seem. I mean, is dotgnu's approach to support primarily the lowest common
> > denominator of all systems or will it extend into the special features of
> > each system.
>
> We will add device-specific capabilities if it makes sense to do so.  The
> "lowest common denominator" is a starting point for the process, not its end.

I think this is the best policy. Yes, support the lowest common denominator as
a starting point, but extend into OS specific features as deemed appropriate. I
have to commend your common sense approach as the figurehead of dotGNU.

> > > We already have this covered.  The runtime engine and the C# library
> > > support "profiles", which allow special versions to be built of both.
> > > There is already an "mscompact" profile, which is intended to provide
> > > library features compatible with .NET CF.
> >
> > Thanks Rhys. But does dotgnu actually support pocket PC architectures e.g.
> > ARM at the present time?
>
> It runs fine on ARM machines.  Linux-based iPAQ's and Zaurus' (both ARM) have
> worked for quite some time now (as someone else mentioned).  However, the CPU
> is only one factor in the "will it work" equation.  Operating system API's,
> available memory, and input devices, are others.

Okay, thanks. I guess you will need feedback on the actual results of dotgnu on
these architectures, I will report as I find.

> > > If modifications are needed to Panel, then we can easily support that via
> > > profiles, and hook through to the equivalent features in handheld
> > > GNU/Linux implementations.
> >
> > Sorry Rhys, I don't really know what you mean by this. Do you mean that, at
> > present, handheld Linux devices are not fully supported but they will be if
> > and when they are requested?
>
> Some handheld devices may already be fully supported.  But others with
> special
> requirements may not.  We will address the issues as they are reported (we
> cannot fix bugs that we do not know about).

Quite so. I will report any issues I find.

> Cheers,
>
> Rhys.

Regards,
Alex