dolibarr-dev

Re: [Dolibarr-dev] Dolibarr Translations from 3.4

From: Doursenaud , Raphaël
Subject: Re: [Dolibarr-dev] Dolibarr Translations from 3.4
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 09:41:25 +0200

Glad to see this going forward !

2013/5/29 Lorenzo Novaro <address@hidden>
I think that we should now define a couple of policies for translations.
First of all I am not really confortable with not having deadlines for
translations. I mean that if translations are not part of the release cycle we
will never be sure that the interface is usable in every supported language
when a new major version is relased. (If there is a date for 3.4 release, it
would be good to set a deadline for translations and revisions before that
date)

I believe the current roadmap is there : http://wiki.dolibarr.org/index.php/Category:RoadMap so I think it's sensible to expect the release 3.4 to be during June if nothing goes wrong.
(This page don't come up with a search with the "roadmap" keyword on the wiki. This is a problem. I had to dig the ML to find the reference I was remembering. Is it fixable ?)

I also think that probably we could benefit from the creation of a dolibarr-
i18n mailing list dedicated to translators and linked to the transifex
project. Do you think it could be possible to create such a list?

That would be great. Translators are a different kind of people and they need not to be as tech savvy as developers.

Last thing is documentation. I started documenting the use of transifex, but
we should re-think the wiki page for translators and also define a policy for
pulling translations into github. (This could probably be discussed on the
i18n list not bothering all the developers on dolibarr-dev)

I think that pulling translations is a developers' job. This may be done just before each beta and RC releases with a reminder sent to the translators list one week before. Automating translation strings push from the next release branch once a week would also be great. This is the way I'm used to work on other projects and this works great. One thing that don't work though is using different tools for translating. Now that we decided to use Transifex, we should stick to it and not allow translators to submit string through other means. This can cause unsolvable conflicts.

What about also recommending putting external modules translations on Transifex ? I think this would benefit the whole ecosystem.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Doursenaud
05 35 53 97 13 - 06 68 48 20 10

http://gpcsolutions.fr
Technopole Hélioparc
2 avenue du Président Pierre Angot
64053 PAU CEDEX 9
SARL GPC.solutions au capital de 7 500 € - R.C.S. PAU 528 995 921