dmca-activists

[DMCA-Activists] Re: [C-Fit_Community] Weinberger: Why Open Spectrum Ma

From: Douglas Galbi
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Re: [C-Fit_Community] Weinberger: Why Open Spectrum Matters
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 09:41:00 -0500

>I think I understand that roughly you mean, don't put effort
>into redefining the language; just use the right, though
>different, language. I'm thinking you mean don't talk about
>"open spectrum," but rather something different. What is
>that?

I would encourage experimentation.  This works for discussion
as well as technology.

>Be more specific. I did read your thing, some time ago,
>took some snippets out intending to comment on them, then
>that passed over time. What complexes do you think should
>be worked out?

Human beings have a natural psychological resistance to change,
to thinking differently, to trying to engage sympathetically with
persons and ideas outside of their group.  This is now a major
problem in the wireless industry.  It also seems to me evident
in aspects of wireless policy discussion.

Connectivity isn't just about technology.  It's also about the
psychoanalytic structure of the person, the logic of social fields,
and class distinctions.

Douglas Galbi wrote:

> >In this context, spectrum has nothing to do with
> >electromagnetic waves and auctions. It is far more
> >fundamental: Spectrum is connection.
>
> >The conversation about Open Spectrum needs to be re-framed.
> >We cannot afford to talk about it in terms of interference,
> >pipes, scarcity and property any more. Those metaphors are
> >getting in our way.
>
> Has so much effort gone into building the brand "open
> spectrum" that it must be used? Talking differently is likely to
> be more effective than talking about talking differently. Talking
> differently is also likely to be more effective than trying to re-define
> words so that one can talk as usual but mean something different.

I'm pretty sure David Weinberger would engage you in a
discussion on this. I'm not exactly sure what you're
saying. You speak of talking differently rather than
talking about it, but I don't understand what different
speaking you're referring to.

I think I understand that roughly you mean, don't put effort
into redefining the language; just use the right, though
different, language. I'm thinking you mean don't talk about
"open spectrum," but rather something different. What is
that?

> "Revolutionary Ideas for Radio Regulation" (available at
> http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=316380
> and at http://www.galbithink.org) highlights other ideas that
> ordinary persons have used for centuries to discuss how to get
> along together. One such idea is of course free, as in free
> speech. Finding a good way to talk about radio regulation is
> important. Maybe we need to work through some complexes here.

Be more specific. I did read your thing, some time ago,
took some snippets out intending to comment on them, then
that passed over time. What complexes do you think should
be worked out?

Seth

--

DRM is Theft! We are the Stakeholders!

New Yorkers for Fair Use
http://www.nyfairuse.org

[CC] Counter-copyright:
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/cc/cc.html

Original authorship should be attributed reasonably, but
only so far as such an expectation might hold for usual
practice in ordinary social discourse to which one holds no
claim of exclusive rights.

>>> Seth Johnson 01/01/03 08:30PM >>>

> http://www.greaterdemocracy.org/framing_openspectrum.html

Why Open Spectrum Matters
The End of the Broadcast Nation

David Weinberger [1]
address@hidden, www.evident.com
Last updated: 12.5.02

The End of the Broadcast Nation
We are not in the age of Information. We are not in the age
of the Internet.

We are in the Age of Connection.

Being connected is at the heart of our democracy and our
economy. The more and better those connections, the stronger
are our government, businesses, science, culture, education

Until now, our connectedness has depended on centralized
control points that have been the gatekeepers of our
economic and political networks. To speak to everyone, you
had to be one of the few with access to a broadcast
networks. To sell to everyone, you had to be one of the few
with access to a global distribution channel. To achieve
office, you had to be one of the few with access to
corporate coffers and national media.

But we are on the verge of being able to connect to anyone
and everyone, whenever and however we want. No gatekeepers.
Ubiquitous connection. Connectedness thats always there and
always on.

This isnt about getting more TV channels. Change the way
were connected and youve changed everything, from the
economy to governance. This is how fundamental
transformation occurs.

In this context, spectrum has nothing to do with
electromagnetic waves and auctions. It is far more
fundamental: Spectrum is connection.

We will connect. The human drive for connection is too
strong to be stopped. The market and the electorate are
clamoring for this. Consider just some of the more obvious
changes:

When consumers are connected, we turn off the marketing
messages and tell one another the truth about what we buy.

When students are connected, they teach each other and work
collaborativelyeven if they are still being graded as if
each assignment were done alone in a cell.

When citizens are connected, we put our money and our votes
with politicians who join the fray. Safe, phony words and
please-everyone positions sound more hollow than ever. We
want our government to recognize and reflect the values
connectedness brings.

When an economy is connected, goods and services move
faster. Little players get a foothold against the giants.
Innovation skyrockets. Risks are taken and investments are
made. The old gatekeepers of connection find their treasure
is now a commodity. But that commodity fuels an outbreak of
economic growth that will last for decades.

When a society is connected, it becomes more fair.
Broadcastings lock on the channels of communication is
broken, so more voices are heard and people are better able
to determine their own individual and collected fates.

The Age of Connection will begin with a fundamental change
in metaphors and a basic reframing of the issues.

Reframing the issues
The conversation about Open Spectrum needs to be re-framed.
We cannot afford to talk about it in terms of interference,
pipes, scarcity and property any more. Those metaphors are
getting in our way.

Not how we can slice up the spectrum ham ... but what will
bring the greatest connectedness?

Not spectrum as a thing ... but as an open standard.

Not who owns spectrum ... but whether we even need a
handshaking "etiquette" to allow devices to communicate
wirelessly.

Not how many bits can be carried by a particular slice ...
but how do we move information from every A to every B most
efficiently?

Not whether this megacorp should be allowed to own that
particular station in some specific city ... but how can we
turn an audience into a conversation?

Not how scarce is bandwidth ... but what can we best do with
the abundance?

Not how can we tinker with the current policies ... but what
policies would create the most freedom, wealth and value
given the new technological possibilities?

The old metaphors are broken. The new metaphors will change
the way we connect with one another and thus will change the
world.

How we got here: Technology and bad metaphors
Current spectrum policy is based on bad science enshrined in
obsolete ways of thinking. The basic metaphors weve used
are just plain wrong.

Pipes. The first metaphor treats spectrum as if it were a
pipe. A pipe has a measurable capacity: a predictable volume
of water can flow through a municipal water trunk. Of
course, this analogy makes certain assumptions, such as that
water can't be compressed effectively and you can only send
one stream of water through a pipe at any one time. In the
context of these assumptions, it made sense for the Federal
Communications Commission to begin licensing spectrum as if
it were a scarce resource under the framework established by
the Communications Act of 1934.

Interference. The second metaphor thinks of the
electromagnetic energy as waves that can be deformed by
interference. In fact, electromagnetic waves can pass
through one another without distortion. The policies set in
1934 by the FCC prohibiting two broadcasters from using the
same frequency treat interference as a law of nature rather
than as a limitation of the technology of that time.

Consumption. The third metaphor thinks of wireless
communications devices as consumers of bandwidth. Every time
a broadcaster receives a license, the amount of available
spectrum goes down. Spectrum is not only a finite resource,
it is a scarce resource, at least according to this
metaphor. New technology, however, increases bandwidth with
the number of users.

Property. The first three metaphors lead to a fourth. As a
pipeline to an audience, a licensed slice of spectrum has
had tremendous value. Because same-frequency waves would
interfere with one another, the broadcaster had to be given
exclusive access rights. Spectrum thus took on the practical
characteristics of property: something of value to which
someone, by legal right, has exclusive access.

Three advances past the old metaphors
These metaphors are misleading and outdated, reflecting the
state of technology over 70 years ago. They came before
information theory, the Internet, and Hedy Lamarr made
obsolete any policy based on interference and scarcity as if
they were laws of nature.

1. Spread spectrum. Before Hollywood made Hedy Lamarr "the
world's most beautiful woman" she was an Austrian aristocrat
married to an arms merchant who was so possessive that she
had to drug his maid in order to escape. In Hollywood, she
became friends with George Antheil, an avant garde composer.
One day, while playing four-handed piano with him, she
realized how to defeat the jamming devices used to keep
radio-controlled torpedoes from hitting their target: rather
than staying on a single frequency, the transmitter and
receiver could be synchronized to switch bands like four
hands moving around a piano keyboard. She and Antheil were
awarded a U.S. patent on the invention in 1942, eer we even need a
handshakinand in 1958
electronics were sophisticated enough to enable the U.S.
Navy to begin using frequency hopping as the basis of its
communications. [2]

Spectrum-as-pipe does not make sense in a frequency-hopping
world. In fact, Lamarr's invention directly contradicts the
essence of the pipe metaphor: that there is a single medium,
contained by hard walls, from A to B. [3]

2. Information Theory. The next blow to the old metaphors
came from Claude Shannon and Warren Weaver in 1949 with
their development of Information Theory. The carrying
capacity of a water pipe can be known with near certainty.
Likewise, how many beer bottles can be filled per hour can
be predicted based on the speed of the conveyor belt. But
spectrum is carrying neither water nor bottles. It's
carrying information. And information is not a hard-edged
good: It can be compressed, in many circumstances it
survives some loss, and it is independent of the medium
carrying it. A system optimized for carrying information,
rather than for preserving the integrity of waves, would
look much different than what we have today. And it would be
much more efficient. In fact, current research indicates
that the amount of information a frequency can carry
increases with the number of users. The only question is how
much it increases.[4]

3. The Internet. The Internet teaches us three lessons loud
and clear.

(a) Open standards work. Rather than building a network that
connects A to B to C by touching copper to copper, the
creators of the Internet built a network by establishing
standards for how information is to be moved. It is because
the Internet was not built as a thing that it has been able
to bring the world many orders of magnitude more bandwidth
than any previous network. Our current policy, however,
treats spectrum as if it were a physical thing to be carved
up. By focusing on open standards rather than on
spectrum-as-thing, the medium can become far more efficient
and offer far greater capacity.

(b) Decentralization works. Keep the architecture clean and
simple. Put the smarts in the devices communicating across
the network rather than in centralized computers. In fact,
central control and regulation would have kept the Internet
from becoming the force that it has.

(c) Lowering the cost of access and connection unleashes
innovation beyond any reasonable expectation.

Open spectrum will do for wireless communications what the
Internet has done for networking computers.

Todays technology
As a result of decisions based on the science of the early
1900s, we built a system that works around technological
limitations that 21st century technology has overcome.
Advances over the past ten years knock into a cocked hat our
most important assumptions about wireless communications:

To get good reception, lock onto a signal. Not any more.
Just as a highway that allows cars to change lanes will have
greater capacity than one that locks them into single-lane
tunnels, bandwidth increases with adaptive radios that can
change their frequencies, modulation, and information
routing to compensate for and exploit the current
conditions.

A radio is a receiver. Until recently, a radio was a
hard-wired device that could do one thing only: play music,
receive voice data, etc. But software-defined radios are
computers, capable of being reprogrammed on the fly. They
can be upgraded after they are sold, and that they can
dynamically be put to a wide variety of uses, enabling
innovation far beyond simply providing more stations to
listen to.

The more you put into a network, the better it is. The
Internet an eeer we even need a
handshakinnd-to-end network has proven this idea to
be backwards. Its precisely because the Internet wasnt
optimized for any particular application that its useful to
the broadest range of innovations. Spectrum can be
architected the same way: as an information transport
utilized by smart devices such as adaptive and
software-defined radios.

The more users, the less bandwidth. Shannon and Weavers
Information Theory that guided the development of broadcast
and point-to-point networks did not consider the
implications of the way our cellular networks currently
enable multiple simultaneous users. In the past decade, a
variety of research teams have begun to explore this unknown
corner of the theory, and have shown a variety of
counterintuitive results that show that our assumptions
about capacity and interference are just wrong. [5]

Its all about the waves. No, its all about information.
Digital communications techniques such as error detection
and correction, maximum likelihood estimation, Rake
receivers, and other techniques developed based on Shannon's
information theory and Digital Signal Processing provide a
rich set of techniques that have not been used in radio
systems deployed before 1990 (the bulk of commercial
systems), i.e. before digital cellular telephones.

Interference is a law of nature. Very wideband modulation
techniques such as DSSS (802.11b AKA WiFi), OFDM
(802.11a/g), UWB and many others use new technologies to
spread information across many frequency bands, creating
very high transmission rates at low cost with very little
degradation even in noisy environments. They do not require
"exclusive" use of those frequency bands, especially in a
network that uses modern adaptive error-correction
techniques, and they do not interfere with older
technologies (such as TV) that uses the same frequencies.
[6]

What could be
Imagine a world in which we've changed policy to adapt to
the new metaphors. There will be changes in three
dimensions: short term, long term and deep term.

Short term, we will see a sudden breaking free from wireless
gridlock. This will not only bring new, smaller players into
a broadcast industry that has been locked up by media
mega-giants. More important, it will enable consumers and
citizens to communicate with one another. We will create our
own content, but well also be in constant conversation.
>From these connections will emerge new social groupings,
just as simple text messaging on telephones has created
flocking behavior in Japan and Scandinavia. We will see
innovations wherever action at a distance or ubiquitous
access makes sense including, incidentally,
object-to-object communications as our household and office
devices start to talk to one another.

Long term, we cannot predict the sort of innovation that
will happen, any more than Marconi could have predicted WiFi
100 years ago. Predictions range from ubiquitous access to
"personal knowledge avatars" to even Star Trek-style
transporters "beaming us" across space. The only certainty
is that our current predictions are inadequate to the
reality that we will invent for ourselves.

Deep term, the unleashing of wireless connectivity will eat
away at one of our last remaining social dependencies on
broadcast media.

"Broadcast" isn't simply an industry. It is a network
topology, an economic model, and a social structure with
direct consequences for the political process as well. As a
network topology, broadcast assumes that the messages are
sent one to many. As an economic model, it assumes the
"channel" is an expense and revenues come from the content
that is broadcast (via subscripeer we even need a
handshakintion or advertising). As a
social structure, broadcast assumes that the ability to
communicate is unequally and unfairly distributed.

The result of these assumptions is a population that by and
large is presumed to be sitting quietly, facing forward,
consuming content developed by commercial interests. The
effects of having become a "Broadcast Nation" are profound.
Our freedom is defined by the channel changer nearby. We
expect power to be concentrated in the hands of those who
have access to media. We expect politicians to be talking at
us more than listening to us. We expect consumer goods to be
"broadcast" the way messages are: identical goods flowing
from a single source. We even experience The Famous as a
special class of person whose lives are played out over the
broadcast network.

We can get a taste of the effect of breaking free of the
broadcast metaphor by looking at what the Internet is doing.
The Net enables people to connect with one another,
circumventing the broadcast chokepoints and the
organizational chart formalities. We are at the beginning of
a generational phase of innovation not only in technology
but in ways we human beings are organizing ourselves. We're
inventing new types of groups, new ways of writing, new
rhythms of social intercourse.

To gauge the effect of opening up spectrum, take the energy
of the Internet and multiply it, for all of that Net's
passion and commitment comes from a medium that until now is
overwhelmingly used to transmit text. It is a typed medium.
Imagine when our connectedness is no long constrained to the
speed of typing and the limits of a text-based presentation
of ideas.

Certainly new businesses will arise commercializing the new
inventions. More important, however, is the great
democratizing effect this will have on our culture. We will
get up off the couch and face one another. We will expect
demand direct responses. Cant and marketing messages will
be worse than insulting; they will be boring. We will be
able to organize ourselves not just around ideas that can be
typed but richer expressions of thought and attitude. Mood,
emotion, and art hard to convey in ASCII will re-enter
the global connection. A bottom-up conversation can begin
over the ether, helping to make participatory democracy
real.

We are not in the Information Age. We are not in the Age of
the Internet. We are in the Age of Connection. To achieve
the ideals this country was built on equality, freedom of
speech and thought, the basic fairness that lets people
determine their own destinies we need everyone connected
to everyone else.

Spectrum is ubiquity. Open spectrum is equality and freedom.

Endnotes

[1] Jock Gill, Dewayne Hendricks and David Reed contributed
ideas, information, links and words to this paper. All
errors and infelicities are mine, however.

[2] Dave Hughes, as told to Howard Rheingold, Smart Mobs, p.
157-8. See also http://www.ncafe.com/chris/pat2/index.html.

[3] The story of the invention of spread spectrum is
actually far more complex. In fact, Lamarrs invention
wasnt developed and used by the military until after direct
sequence spread spectrum (DSSS aka CDMA) was put into
practice in the early 1950s. Lamarrs contribution was real,
but the story is so appealing that it has been
over-playedas in the body of this very paper. For more
information about the history of these inventions, see
"Spread Spectrum Communications" by Charles E. Cook,
Laurence B. Milstein (Editors), IEEE, December, 1983.

[eer we even need a
handshakin4]
http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/meetings/art/art02/slides02/ree/ree_slides.pdf

[5] David Reed, The Skys No Longer the Limit, Context
Magazine,
http://www.contextmag.com/archives/200212/Insight2TheSkysNoLonger.asp

[6] David Reed provided the content for the Todays
Technology section of this paper. Many of the phrases are
his.

Sources and additional reading

David Isenberg, The Rise of the Stupid Network.
http://isen.com/stupid.html

David P. Reed, The Law of the Pack. Harvard Business
Review, Feb. 2000.
http://www.hbsp.harvard.edu/products/hbr/feb01/F0102A.html#3

David P. Reeds Open Spectrum page:
http://www.reed.com/OpenSpectrum

J.H. Saltzer, David P. Reed, D.D. Clark, End-to-End
Arguments in Systems Design.
http://www.reed.com/dprframeweb/dprframe.asp?section=paper&fn=endofendtoend.html

2002 (c) D. Weinberger. May be copied, reproduced and
distributed without permission in whole or in part, with two
restrictions: You must include attribution and this
copyright notice, and it cannot be part of a commercial
project., If in doubt, ask me.

C-FIT Community Discussion List
List Parent: address@hidden
C-FIT Home: http://RealMeasures.dyndns.org/C-FIT

To Subscribe/Unsubscribe:
Send "[Un]Subscribe C-FIT_Community" To address@hidden

Douglas Galbi wrote:

> [...]

degradation even in noisy environments. They do not require
"exclusive" use of those frequency bands, especially in a
network that uses modern adaptive error-correction
techniques, and they do not interfere with older
technologies (such as TV) that uses the same frequencies.
[6]

What could be
Imagine a world in which we've changed policy to adapt to
the new metaphors. There will be changes in three
dimensions: short term, long term and deep term.

Short term, we will see a sudden breaking free from wireless
gridlock. This will not only bring new, smaller players into
a broadcast industry that has been locked up by media
mega-giants. More important, it will enable consumers and
citizens to communicate with one another. We will create our
own content, but well also be in constant conversation.
From these connections will emerge new social groupings,

List Parent: address@hidden