Re: TextEdit : critical error prevents loading

From: Patrick CARDONA
Subject: Re: TextEdit : critical error prevents loading
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2018 21:18:12 +0200

Hi Yavor,

I go on answering in the flow of your message :

On 2018-07-09 16:04:08 +0200 Yavor Doganov <yavor@gnu.org> wrote:

> В Mon, 09 Jul 2018 15:47:48 +0200, Patrick CARDONA написа:
>> On 2018-07-08 23:14:13 +0200 Yavor Doganov <yavor@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>>> ApplicationRelease = 5; (it is not exactly 5.0-2)
>
> "dpkg -l textedit.app" should give the answer which package version you have
> installed.

Ok : dpkg -l  returns :
> ii  textedit.app   5.0-2        i386         Text editor for GNUstep

>>> Does it happen if you move ~/GNUstep/Defaults/TextEdit.plist away?
>> When I rename "Info-gnustep.plist" to "Info-gnustep.plist.back", I get
>> these messages :
>
> No, that is the wrong file to move.  I asked for
> /home/patrick/GNUstep/Defaults/TextEdit.plist.

Sorry. The file "/home/patrick/GNUstep/Defaults/TextEdit.plist" does not exist,
maybe because the app never started up to save preferences there.

>> I have already gdb installed, but I could not install the *.dbg neither
>> *.dbgsym because there seem not available within Ubuntu :
>
> Well, you'll probably have to enable additional repositories for them; please
> check your usual Ubuntu documentation / support channels.  I found this wiki
> page for Ubuntu but I don't know if it's accurate:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Debug%20Symbol%20Packages
OK. I added those repositories, dit "sudo apt-get update" then "dist-upgrade"...
And then run gdb, but it says :

> patrick@patrick-Macmini1:~$ gdb TextEdit
> (...)
> Reading symbols from TextEdit...Reading symbols from
> /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/d3/d7000fb36cd0134659949fd83b715a6bda667d.debug...done.
> done.
> (gdb) break -[NSException raise]
> Function "-[NSException raise]" not defined.
> Make breakpoint pending on future shared library load? (y or [n])

Bye!
Patrick