Re: Install GNUstep on a fresh Debian Jessie (S1-E2)

From: Tristan Bellogi
Subject: Re: Install GNUstep on a fresh Debian Jessie (S1-E2)
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 14:27:51 +0100

@Richard

Le 29/02/2016 11:50, Richard Frith-Macdonald a écrit :
When installing from source on a system where you had installed packages,
there's obviously huge scope for different things conflicting.
First thanks for the quick answer!
I working on a fresh Debian installation, only the Objc2 library was previously installed.
Plus as building it, I wasn't warn for any missing GNUstep dependencies...
Also, If it's not present at the moment I our Make library, AFAIU, as soon as I would run configure script here, it would nicely warn my compiler would'nt support --enable-objc-nonfragile-abi option, right?

But, since say you configured and installed gnustep-make and set your .bashrc
to source it, you should at least be getting the environment settings you need
whenever you start a new window (assuming that bash is running in it).
***aware of this, I move customisation of my ~/.bashrc to /etc/profile for this improvement to be system wide. Also in my last post I reproduce the output of: echo $PATH, to show out some inconsistencies, the output was:

/home/ylg/GNUstep/Tools:/usr/GNUstep/Local/Tools:/usr/GNUstep/System/Tools:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games

Looking at this drive me back to my question about the "missing" ~/GNUstep dir. How could I have this added to my PATH (/etc/profile) if it doesn't exist in my ~/ ? Thus who (which program did this addition since it's NOT me ? Since nothing from GNUstep has been installed before (fresh install)?
I don't recall whether installing gnustep-make should create ~/GNUstep ... it's
not needed until something has to be stored there, so it may be normal for it
to not yet exist.

I am more concerned that the configure from gnustep-base said you don't have
gnustep-make installed ... it has two ways of locating things so really *ought*
to be able to find it.
The first is the GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES environment variable ... if it can't find
that then it sounds like;
you used an old window from before installing gnustep-make
or your .bashrc has not been executed
or your .bashrc is exiting before it gets round to sourcing GNUstep.sh
or there's a typo in the command (or error in the path specified) in .bashrc
etc.
***Running tmux in my term, I moved CC, CXX, OBJC, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH and sourcing command line to /etc/profile and /etc/bash.bashrc...?
As a fallback when the environment variable is not set, the configure script
tries to run the gnustep-config script, which it should find in your path ...
and as long as the new source-installed gnustep-make is earlier in your path
than any installed by the system packages, it should find the correct script,
and that should allow it to set the GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES variable.

So first, I'd check the environment variable to see if it points to the
directory where the gnustep makefiles are installed.
@Neils
Thank you too, indeed ;-)
Well mistyping was in the post only, not in my .bashrc (I wish it was so simple!) Plus a special thank for you scripts, I'm gonna see how I can use/customize them to solve my problem

@ALL
Since i've plenty of HD, I just boot another Debian fresh install to then do:
1 - Install clang/llvm same version from the same source (llvm.org)
2 - svn our Make package
3 - issue:

    a) - ./configure --with-layout=gnustep --enable-debug-by-default
--enable-objc-nonfragile-abi -enable-native-objc-exceptions

at this point configure script complains "your compiler doesn't support fragile abi" + "will not be able to produce ObjC executable".

I'm not going further down this line since I just want being able to use fragile abi...

later,
Tristan

PS:
Some friend of mine using Arch Linux encounter the same difficulties (this morning onto an Arch fresh install) as I asked him to proceed some test, just to see...