Re: Savannah vs. Gitlab

From: Niels Grewe
Subject: Re: Savannah vs. Gitlab
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 16:08:34 +0000

> Am 04.12.2015 um 16:24 schrieb David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org>:
>
> On 4 Dec 2015, at 09:55, Ivan Vučica <ivan@vucica.net> wrote:
>>
>> Primary hosting on Github? *shrug* there are no strong benefits, I think,
>> and sufficient number of people would be happier if we hosted elsewhere.
>
> I strongly disagree with this.  The benefits for collaboration from being
> able to easily see who has forked your repo, to post comments on their code
> asking about upstreaming, and so on are huge.
>
> GitHub is far more than just a hosting service (though one that has an issue
> tracker that integrates tightly with the revision control system, and a
> decent code review system), it’s also a social platform and that’s where the
> majority of its value lies.

I completely agree with you here. Additionally, hosting on github gives you
access to all kinds of integrations with minimal additional setup. I think it’s
extremely valuable to have a continuous integration service like travis or
appveyor to vet commits and pull requests (without having to put in the work to
maintain the infrastructure)

Cheers,

Niels