Re: Dublin anniversary meet-up : code achievements and leftover todo's

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Dublin anniversary meet-up : code achievements and leftover todo's
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2015 18:52:50 +0100

Am 05.11.2015 um 16:06 schrieb Riccardo Mottola:
>  * High memory usage: we did some attempts with Richard about Memory
>    usage, which appears to be qutie high even for our dameons, as well
>    for gui apps. No significant progress was done, the issue remains
>    open For a simple daemon like gdnc or gpbs, we detected about
>    4-5MBytes of Heap with even more being used on 64bit.
>      o build without ICU: saves about 1MB
>      o build without libxml, libxslt, gnutls : saves about other 700K,
>        but not consistently for every application and the loss of
>        functionality needs to be taken in account
>      o build without charactersets: only about 70K saving: Doesn't seem
>        to be worth it
>      o Richard though about no-zone allocation on 64bit machines, might
>        save space there

Not sure what you were measuring there. At least on Linux (amd64) most
shared libraries are compiled with -fPIC and most of the space used by
such an library should be reused between different applications using
the library. That is, if you are runing Ink, gdnc and gpbs most of the
memory you listed above should be reused between these three.

Fred