Dublin anniversary meet-up : code achievements and leftover todo's

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Dublin anniversary meet-up : code achievements and leftover todo's
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 16:06:00 +0100

Hey,

while at Dublin we discussed lots of stuff, but also went doen to do some practical hacking which needs either to be tested or needs some follow-ups to be useful. Let me try to sum up

 * Theming - cross platform. Richard directly implemented a way of
   theming resources by speciginf su-directories in the theme using the
   Bundle Identifier. This leaces several actions to do:
     o Making an actual theme to test this (will do)
     o Provide CFBundleIndentifier in major apps so that they can
       actually be themed
     o Extend ProjectCenter to support Bundle Identifier (work in progress)
     o Extend Thematic to at least "list" and retain the per-app
       images, with the final goal to be able to add them inside the
       app itself
 * PikoPixel : after a lot of debugging, on my latop startup was broken
   due t initialization of a Window by wuerying screen size with screen
   not yet initilaized. Fixed by Fred, PP starts up for me now on
   Linux/x86-32/clang for me. Just needs to be tested with other
   applications and architectures and confirm the fix.
 * GNUMail : the crash that happens when using the Gorm file instead of
   the NIB file is really hideus, it took hours of plking with
   Richard,  but found no solution yet. Remains pending, I will
   follow-up on that separately
 * Gorm opens the PasswordPanel.nib file of point above but interprets
   the NSWindow as NSPanel -> Gregory was working on this
 * Gorm opens the PasswordPanel.nib file of point above when opened and
   saved as gorm, generates a NSSecureTextField the Cell of which is
   just a plan TextField cell, thus casuing exception -> new bug, left
   to check after the bug above fixed
 * OutlineView and XML nodes: Richard found and implemented a fix, it
   is commited. Ivan would need to check & confirm
 * GWorkspace: thumbnail generator. After some reasoning, it appears an
   advantage to trasform the service with separate executable that hogs
   up memory and doesn't quit, to a plain Class with a method called in
   a worker thread (Further potential could come from NSOperation). I
   am working on that. Further ideas would be to add to the Thumbnail
   DB a date stamp and possibily even a last-accessed date-stamp, to
   make some smart cache
 * High memory usage: we did some attempts with Richard about Memory
   usage, which appears to be qutie high even for our dameons, as well
   for gui apps. No significant progress was done, the issue remains
   open For a simple daemon like gdnc or gpbs, we detected about
   4-5MBytes of Heap with even more being used on 64bit.
     o build without ICU: saves about 1MB
     o build without libxml, libxslt, gnutls : saves about other 700K,
       but not consistently for every application and the loss of
       functionality needs to be taken in account
     o build without charactersets: only about 70K saving: Doesn't seem
       to be worth it
     o Richard though about no-zone allocation on 64bit machines, might
       save space there

Missing something?

Looking forward to your tests and commits :)

Riccardo