Re: GNUStep pre-compiled SD Card

From: Adam S
Subject: Re: GNUStep pre-compiled SD Card
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 11:37:59 +0000

Many thanks! If Riccardo is able to help, and doesn't mind building it up for me please, that would be brilliant. I'll reimburse for any costs and pay extra for the assist.

I've literally never compiled anything (!) so although I'm willing to try it would be great to have one pre-built on this occasion.

Thanks, Adam

On Nov 1, 2015 11:10 AM, "Richard Frith-Macdonald" <rfm@gnu.org> wrote:

> On 1 Nov 2015, at 10:39, Adam S <adam.sommerfield@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Richard,
>
> Thanks for the quick response, really appreciate it.
>
> So- I've got a hobby project on the go, its to build a NeXT "Cuboid" which is a Raspberry Pi2 in a black metal cuboid case, original NeXT keyboard and mouse, and for the OS it makes sense to go for GNUStep because of its relationship to NeXTStep. Further to that though I also want to use it as much as possible, learn about it etc.
>
> I'm a complete noob in the world of GNU. As such I really can't answer your questions other than to say that what I'm looking for should enable the above description to be implemented.
>
> RPi2 can boot from OS on SD Card or OS on a USB stick. But again I haven't got experience with .iso images or writing them to disk/USB, hence I'm reaching out for assistance and willing to pay.
>
> Hope that helps?

Yes, that clarifies a lot.
I don’t have any experience with Rasperry Pi, but I’m at the GNUstep 20th annivewrsary meeting in Dublin, with Riccardo Mottola, and he says he built GNUstep libraries/apps for the Raspberry Pi (on the Raspbian  operating system) recently, and it all just worked … building from source without any system specific changes required.

So, while he is away from home and can’t do anything for a few days, he’s done it recently and might be able to help.
If you are in a hurry, you should be able to build gnustep-core libraries and a few apps from source on your system.