Re: GNUStep pre-compiled SD Card

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUStep pre-compiled SD Card
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 11:10:34 +0000

> On 1 Nov 2015, at 10:39, Adam S <adam.sommerfield@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Richard,
>
> Thanks for the quick response, really appreciate it.
>
> So- I've got a hobby project on the go, its to build a NeXT "Cuboid" which is
> a Raspberry Pi2 in a black metal cuboid case, original NeXT keyboard and
> mouse, and for the OS it makes sense to go for GNUStep because of its
> relationship to NeXTStep. Further to that though I also want to use it as
> much as possible, learn about it etc.
>
> I'm a complete noob in the world of GNU. As such I really can't answer your
> questions other than to say that what I'm looking for should enable the above
> description to be implemented.
>
> RPi2 can boot from OS on SD Card or OS on a USB stick. But again I haven't
> got experience with .iso images or writing them to disk/USB, hence I'm
> reaching out for assistance and willing to pay.
>
> Hope that helps?

Yes, that clarifies a lot.
I don’t have any experience with Rasperry Pi, but I’m at the GNUstep 20th
annivewrsary meeting in Dublin, with Riccardo Mottola, and he says he built
GNUstep libraries/apps for the Raspberry Pi (on the Raspbian  operating system)
recently, and it all just worked … building from source without any system
specific changes required.

So, while he is away from home and can’t do anything for a few days, he’s done
it recently and might be able to help.
If you are in a hurry, you should be able to build gnustep-core libraries and a
few apps from source on your system.