Re: Further development

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Further development
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 11:06:08 +0100

Hi Johan,

Johan Ceuppens wrote:

Hello

I wanted to ask you as a gnu developer if there is anything which I can work or ideas to be codified.

nice to read that someone wants to help! Heartily welcome here on GNUstep!

Many people here have personal "TODOs" since GNUstep has different fields and ways of usage. What are your personal interests? knowledge? Do you like to work on the "core" framework? on developer tools? generally on applications and tools to compose a desktop?

The most tedious work is to fix out bugs! http://bugs.gnustep.org is a good place to start. Trying to reproduce them and classifying them is important, checking if they are still valid (some are 10+ years old, but sadly still there).

If you are more framework, library oriented, you could can see if GNUstepWeb interests you... or Database frameworks. Or CoreBase, if you are interested in helping porting over stuff from the Mac.

If you are more on the GUI stuff, people gave you a lot of hints, I personally would add some better theming integration and improvement of the Windows and GNOME native theme, if you are interested that GS app "blend" better in a foreign environment.

Alternatively, if you also like tweaking apps, inside gnustep itself we have core user and developer applications (gorm, project-center, SystemPreferences). [0] Otheriwse you might want to help the App's projects, like GNUMail (which actually has a new repository as a fork, German, we should update the Wiki), Gemas... or all the stuff in GAP [2] or Etoile if you are interested in a "desktop".
We would welcome you very well over at GAP!

Perhaps the most fun thing is to balance working a bit everywhere!

Riccardo

[0] http://www.gnustep.org/experience/DeveloperTools.html and http://www.gnustep.org/experience/apps.html
[1] http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/GNUMail.app
[2] GNUstep Application Project: http://gap.nongnu.org/