Re: Further development

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Further development
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 19:30:23 +0000

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 4:46 AM, Germán Arias <germanandre@gmx.es> wrote:
* Opal backend: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnustep/2013-09/msg00173.html
* UIKit for GNUstep (Opal backend is necessary for this? Or better if we use directly OpenGL ES?)

I'll restate what my thoughts on this are.

For UIKit, there are two approaches I personally would consider okay:

** Build a new implementation on top of Core Animation. Do not update AppKit to be Core Animation-capable.
This one does not require finishing Opal backend, or writing code that would integrate CA into AppKit. Required is fixing/finalizing Core Animation and carefully structuring UIKit -- from scratch.

** Update AppKit to be Core Animation-capable. Reuse Chameleon as an implementation of UIKit on top of AppKit.
This one requires:
- getting -gui to render everything using Opal
- fixing/finalizing Core Animation (as documented multiple times -- it should not redraw every frame if no animation happened, the code needs cleanup, etc)
- adding NSView categories into the Core Animation library (to avoid actually making -gui depend on CA)
- compile Chameleon and pray everything works
- when it doesn't, fix issues, if needed submit a patch upstream, and go to previous step
--
Ivan Vučica
ivan@vucica.net