Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 09:40:00 -0500

Doc,

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Doc O'Leary <droleary@7usenet2013.subsume.com> wrote:
In article <mailman.9767.1387538910.10748.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:

> Leadership requires followers.

No, it doesn't.  It simply requires a person to take a stand despite the
risk of being wrong.  That's also at the heart of the scientific method.
I'm a scientist; are you not?  If you want a cult of blind leaders and
even blinder followers, go start a religion.

Your understanding of how things work on an open source/free software project is fundamentally flawed.
If you think this approach will work, you should try it.  From experience you wont have as much success as you think.

> Gregory can put on his GNUstep Maintainer hat
> and say 'we should implement UIKit', but it has no effect unless someone
> actually does the work.  Implementing UIKit is more work than one person can
> do by themselves.

Again with the stupid rush to implement things . . .

Here's a radical idea: why not actually evaluate the goal first?  Before
throwing people at the problem, figure out what good reason there was
(if any) for Apple to go UIKit for mobile development instead of just
expanding the AppKit API.  Perhaps the right thing to do for GNUstep
doesn't involve *any* coders.

Here's an even more radical one.  We've already done much of this analysis.  Just because you weren't involved doesn't mean it didn't happen.

The reason for Apple to implement UIKit is very simple. AppKit processes mouse and keyboard driven events.  With a mouse you're forced to move the pointer from one location to another.  On a phone or tablet you know precisely where the user is pointing via touch events.  Another consideration was the difference in form factor as well as the fact that the framework needed to be lightweight and that is something AppKit isn't.

> Talk on a mailing list is cheap.

And yet so much more valuable than aimless code.

You really think you're being productive.  I invite you to use the technical skills you touted earlier to contribute something.

> If you're complaining that no one else is, then
> you're not contributing anything useful.

Nonsense.  Only a fool thinks that more monkeys sitting at typewriters
is the way to get better books.  If you sincerely don't see the point of
debating the correctness of an approach, my opinion of FreeBSD is
greatly reduced.

> Open source projects are not created for users, they're created for
> contributors.

More rubbish.  Or, rather, incredibly sad if true.  I mean, who exactly
are you being "open" to if you're all being that selfishly insular?  Is
this seriously the thinking behind FreeBSD?

Good grief...  open source projects are inherently self-serving.

> Contributors may be ones who donate code, artwork,
> documentation, or money.

If that's the direction GNUstep chooses to go, that is not a cult I want
to be part of *ever*.  I take too much joy in seeing regular people
benefit from my work.

> If you want to set
> an agenda for ANY open source project, you need to contribute.

Whereas I would start with having, you know, a smart agenda in the first
place.  I continue to be amazed by the lack of scientific thinking being
expressed by people I would assume are trained computer scientists.

I am a trained computer scientist.  I have a degree, with honors, from University of Maryland at College Park and I studied at Johns Hopkins University.  As is David who has a PhD from Swansea University.  Others in the group also hold degrees.

--
iPhone apps that matter:    http://appstore.subsume.com/
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, localhost, googlegroups.com, theremailer.net,