Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 11:43:02 +0100

Hi,

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
Gregory,

The problem is that I have been saying "go there" but, as you say, everyone has their own goals on this project. And that's proper since it is an open source project. They are allowed to have their own goals. It is very difficult to tell people what to do when you are NOT paying them.

What I mean is that people can be asked to discuss their goals and to mirror them with some "official" goal so they know how much they share and support it. In my observation people often complain that they don't know the "official" goal and therefore just have abad feeling about the web pages (not the code) and everybody knows that it must be improved, but nobody knows how it should be.
True, but actually this keeps the project alive. We do steer per-change, per feature, not as a big goal. That's fine. That's open-source. It makes of course difficult to make a website, but it makes us versatile.

I have thought a little more about it and it may be even more fundamental that we have no overall direction. I for example don't know if GNUstep is intended to be "the Desktop GUI toolkit" of the GNU system. Or if it is just one of several free and open source projects without any connection (we even use more llvm and less gcc), because 20 years ago someone did think it could be a useful mosaic stone to donate the world an alternative to closed source systems like Windows, NeXT, UNIX(TM). So if RMS did appoint you to be the GNUstep maintainer, what does the GNU project expect from GNUstep?
What's the goal of GNU?

In business life every project has a rationale and is embedded in higher level projects. The ultimate goals of an organization (company or charity or religion or government) is defined by the "president" (prepared by some strategy development committee). He has to listen to the project members and understand their needs of course or won't be elected again...
But this is not business, this is OpenSource. This is why it is so difficult to guide, but this is alsy why it is so resilient. A business would never have worked for almost 20 years on something like GNUstep. Yet GNUstep is now something valuable, powerful and usable for many goals!

I am developing enterprise software and open source project that run from small embedded boards (Raspberry!), netbooks to old and modern laptops, even obsolete workstations, strange serves. This is mirable! Few project manage to do that. And they remain around.

Be positive. Contribute. Enjoy.

Riccardo